We are a strong advocate for our members, and for the local government sector. We regularly provide input on central and local government policy in the form of feedback on reviews and submissions to select committees. We also provide day-to-day policy advice to members when required, and publish a member-only Quarterly Briefing.
Submissions lodged in 2022
Submissions lodged in 2021
- Economic regulation and consumer protection for three waters submission (lodged 17 December 2021). This is the Taituarā submission on how economic regulation and consumer protection for the future three waters system should be designed - a consultation by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
- Making the critical transition to a low-waste society submission (lodged 10 December 2021). This pertains to the Ministry for the Environment consultation Te kawe i te haepapa para - Taking responsibility for our waste.
- Pae Ora (Healthy Futures) Bill submission (lodged 7 December 2021). This pertains to the Ministry of Health consultation on a new structure and new accountability arrangements for the publicly-funded health system, in order to protect, promote, and improve the health of all New Zealanders. Our oral submission to the Pae Ora Legislation Committee can be viewed here. The Taituarā submission appears first.
- Emissions Reduction Plan submission (lodged 24 November 2021). This pertains to the Ministry for the Environment consultation in respect to the transitioning to a low-emissions and climate-resilient future.
- Resource Management (Enabling Housing Supply and Other Matters) Amendment Bill submission (lodged 12 November 2021). This was presented following a consultation by the Ministry for the Environment
- Taxation (Annual Rates for 2021–22, GST, and Remedial Matters) Bill submission (lodged 4 November 2021). The Taituarā submission pertains to local authority taxation. Our oral submission to the Finance and Expenditure Committee can be viewed here. The Taituarā submission starts at 30:05.
- Local Government (Pecuniary Interests Register) Amendment Bill submission. Our oral submission to the Governance and Administration Committee can be viewed here.
- Māori Electoral Option submission (lodged 12 August 2021). This was presented following a consultation by the Ministry of Justice.
- Exposure draft of the Natural and Built Environment Act submission (lodged 4 August 2021). A submission to the Environment Select Committee on the first of three pieces of legislation to replace the Resource Management Act 1991.
- Building Code Update 2021 submission (lodged on 4 June 2021). This consultation by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment proposes to increase energy efficiency in buildings, introduce HVAC requirements, and natural light for high-density housing. There is also a news article introducing the proposed changes here which we published before preparing the submission with our members.
- Supporting sustainable freedom camping submission (lodged on 25 May 2021). This consultation by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment aims to improve the outcomes for local communities from freedom camping. There is also a news article introducing the proposed changes here which we published before preparing the submission with our members.
- The Climate Change Commission's Draft Advice to the Government submission (lodged on 28 March 2021). This outlines the Climate Change Commission's recommendations for reducing emissions and suggests the direction of policy that Aotearoa New Zealand could take to get there. The Climate Change Commission's finalised advice will be shared with the Government by 31 May 2021.
- Water Services Bill 2021. This Bill provides Taumata Arowai with a fleshed out set of regulatory responsibilities and duties, and the powers it needs to fulfil these. An exposure draft of the Taituarā submission is available.
Submissions lodged in 2020
- Deaths, Funerals, Burial and Cremation submission (lodged on 30 October 2020). The Ministry of Health consulted on a review of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964. The consultation document set out a range of options for modernising the legislation about death certification, regulation of funeral directors, burial and cemetery management, cremations and new methods of body disposal.
- Building for Climate Change submission (lodged on 16 October 2020). The Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment consulted on reducing emissions from buildings during their construction and operation, while also preparing buildings to withstand changes in the climate.
- Building (Building Products and Methods, Modular Components, and Other Matters) Amendment Bill (lodged on 10 July 2020)
- COVID-19 Response (Further Management Measures) Amendment Bill. Submission lodged.
- Local Government (Rating of Whenua Māori) Amendment Bill (lodged on 17 April 2020). The Taituarā Executive Board has approved our submission on the Rating of Whenua Māori Amendment Bill. We
are generally supportive of the Bill’s intent though we consider some
of the proposed solutions need some further refinement.
- Infrastructure Funding and Financing Bill submission (lodged on 5 March 2020). The Transport Committee continues to meet. Raymond presented to the Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee on 16 April 2020. It was live streamed and can be viewed on Facebook. Raymond appears about 51 minutes in.
- Taumata Arowai – the Water Services Regulator Bill (lodged on 4 March 2020). Raymond and Karen presented to the Health Select Committee on 11 March 2020. We support a regulatory body, and most of the submission was to raise concerns that the Bill does not make sufficient provision for the perspectives of the industry in the regulator's governance and engagement perspectives. We anticipate this will be one of the top priorities when Parliament resumes on 28 April 2020.
- Inquiry into Elections (lodged 4 March 2020). We submitted to the Justice Committee Inquiry into the 2019 Local Elections. The Chair of the Electoral Committee, Dean Heiford and Raymond appeared at the Committee in June 2020.
- Urban Development Bill submission (lodged on 14 February 2020). Raymond presented to the Environment Select Committee on 19 March 2020. It was live streamed and can be viewed on Facebook. Raymond appears around 10 minutes in.
Get in touch
Contact Raymond Horan if you have any questions, or would like to provide input into future submissions.