This programme has been designed to produce leaders who have the ambition, aspiration and skillsets to be credible candidates for chief executive roles. They will be senior leaders who are self-aware, can balance people leadership with tasks and outcomes and who have an understanding of strategic and operational context.
As a result of ongoing discussions with senior people across the
local government sector, a need emerged for the development of managers who are
`near-CE ready`. With 78 local councils across Aotearoa New Zealand the sector offers huge
potential for leadership careers.
Developed in conjunction with the Continuum Consulting Group, it uses the latest in brain-based science and leadership effectiveness to get results and drive behavioural change. It does not look to duplicate or even emulate previous developmental experiences; its focus is on the `who` of leadership, not so much the `what`.
As these leaders may have been on previous training and development programmes, this programme
focuses on leadership self-awareness and tailored learning. It is a cohort-based experience balanced with the emphasis on meeting the development needs of
Taituarā offers the LG Executive Leaders Programme as the advanced level of our local government leadership pathway.
- Commencing with a three-day residential cohort members come together to explore their operating context, the leadership required for the future and what they need to develop individually and collectively.
- Three one-day workshops follow every three months, which will combine speakers and topics relevant to this group, with action learning and brain-based learning and development.
- Two one-on-one virtual or phone coaching sessions to agree personal goals. This can be followed by monthly or every other month individual coaching if requested by a participant (these additional coaching sessions are not included in the programme's standard fee)
- The programme finishes with a review.
- This is all underpinned by personal learning organised by the individual which could include secondments, acting roles, shadowing, site visits, courses, reading and job swaps. Participants will be strongly encouraged to create reflection habits as a learning tool.
Pictured above are the 2020/21 cohort of Executive Leaders
Who should attend
- Executives who are already in positions of influence and who are ready to accelerate their learning, stretch their capacity for high performance and broaden their horizons.
- Participants that aspire to positions at the highest levels of local government.
Current and upcoming programmes
The 2022/23 programme commenced with a 3-day residential event at Wallaceville House, Upper Hutt in November 2022.
Over the following months there will be
- Three one-day workshops which will combine speakers and topics relevant to this group, with action learning and brain-based Learning and development.
- Two one-on-one coaching sessions by Skype or phone to agree personal goals. This can be followed by monthly or every other month individual coaching if requested by a participant (these additional coaching sessions are not included in the programme's standard fee).
- The programme finishes with a review.
This is all underpinned by personal learning which could include secondments, acting roles, shadowing, site visits, courses, reading and job swaps. Participants will be strongly encouraged to create reflection habits as a learning tool.
Director, Continuum Consulting Group
Jennifer is a senior leadership development practitioner, specialising in the Neuroscience of Leadership. She has a business background, having begun her career in the City of London, as a shipbroker and member of the Baltic and Mercantile Shipping Exchange.
She has held senior roles with the global organisation P&O Nedlloyd and her career has been internationally focused, encompassing London, Australia, Hong Kong and New Zealand. She set up her own consultancy in 2007 in New Zealand where she works with government and private sector organisations.
Her work is primarily in the areas of:
- Development, design and delivery of long and short term leadership programmes.
- Development and delivery of neuroscience of leadership programmes and workshops.
- Using neuroscience principles to design and support organisational change.
- Leadership development consulting solutions for organisations.
- Consulting to organisations to increase organisational buy-in to change initiatives.
- Senior executive coaching; working with individuals and senior teams to support them in becoming more effective leaders of people and results.
Jennifer has a passion for effective leadership, believing that a combination of evidence and practical application leads to learning and behaviour change.
She qualified as a
Shipbroker in the UK and holds a Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management
from Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand, as well as an MSc in The Neuroscience
of Leadership from Middlesex University, UK.
Find out more
For more information about this programme please email email@example.com.