- You must be a current Full Member of Taituarā
- You must have secured your Chief Executive's support to join before making your application
- You work for a local authority who is up to date with payment of the Taituarā subscriptions that relate to the specific Committee or Reference Group
You will have experience in local government (generally over a number of years) and be able to demonstrate skills and knowledge that will contribute to the achievement of the Committee or Reference Group's objectives. While you can expect some personal development to occur as a result of your membership to a working party, Taituarā is looking for people who will contribute.
You will be able to take a national perspective to issues and opportunities, while having a sound knowledge of issues facing local authorities of your size and type. You will be open to a variety of approaches.
You will be willing to spend 8-10 days per year on Committee or Reference Group projects, and have the support of your council to do so. Committee or Reference Group meetings are generally once per quarter and are notified well in advance.
Ideally, you will have previously demonstrated an interest in, and participation in industry good projects.
What's in it for you?
This is a wonderful opportunity for someone who wants to take the next step in their career development. Participating in a working party that tackles issues of national significance will give you the opportunity to gain fresh perspective, widen your horizon and add to your knowledge about local government. Working parties contribute to sector capability and advocacy. You will also demonstrate and enhance your leadership capabilities through effective influence and collaboration.
You will have the ability to create and strengthen your professional networks and peer support through these working parties.
Applying for Committee or Reference Group membership
From time to time we will let members know that we have a Committee or Reference Group vacancy. To apply you will need to provide:
Your current curriculum vitae (CV)
A cover letter which contains the following information:
- Which Committee(s) or Reference Group(s) you wish to be considered for and why
- Description of your relevant skills, knowledge and experience you would bring to the Committee or Reference Group
- Demonstration of your understanding of the role of Committees or Reference Groups and the conditions of appointment.
- Endorsement letter from your Chief Executive indicating that your local authority supports your application and is willing to commit 8-10 days of your time. If you are a Chief Executive, then statement to this effect is sufficient.
- Appointments will be made by the Chair of the relevant Committee or Reference Group and the Chief Executive of Taituarā. Taituarā reserves the right to appoint to some, all or none of the vacant positions at its discretion.
Please send your completed application to Taituarā Chief Executive, Karen Thomas, email Karen.Thomas@taituara.org.nz.